Pentium 4

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 11:11:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:38:47AM +0100, Gerhard Prade wrote:
> Now my question. It is posible to optimize one of the next releases of
> fedora for 686 CPU or greater like Pentium 4?

It wouldn't run on other systems if the full optimisations were used.
Gentoo can do this as each user compiles the code and ends up with
binaries for their own CPU/setup that hopefully work.

Fedora does ship 686 optimised kernel, glibc and openssl, that seems to be
the key bits it helps. You can however rebuild any rpm source package with
other options (eg -Os for size optimisation or CPU specific optimisations)