Xfree86 bug related.

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 21:48:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 jeffrin_jose at rajagiritech.ac.in wrote:

>I have Fedora Core 1 one in my home PC.
>It' reports a bug like this ...
>
>atkbd.c : This is an XFree86 bug .It should not access hardware directly.
>atkbd.c: unknown key released (translated set 2,code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
>
>Please tell me if possible what the error message indicates.

$ locate atkbd.c
linux-2.6.0/drivers/input/keyboard/atkbd.c

Looks like a kernel warning.  XFree86 accesses a lot of hardware
directly, by design.  I'm not sure it's fair for the kernel to
say that is a bug, however I would certainly agree that it isn't
the best possible design for the Linux usage case.

>From the message above alone though, having never seen it before,
it's hard to conclude what the real problem is.  Perhaps the
kernel keyboard driver maintainer, or another kernel hacker could
extrapolate more on what this problem is.

If it's a small bug or issue of some kind in XFree86 that's
easily fixable, then there's no reason I can see not to fix it.

If the kernel error above implies half of XFree86's keyboard
support should be thrown out and rewritten though to please the
Linux kernel, then I welcome patches from kernel people (or
anyone) to implement that.  ;o)

In the mean time, lets see what google says.