fsck (or initlog) result codes

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Thu Feb 5 15:46:44 UTC 2004

Hello Bill,

> > With an fsck result code of 3 however the system passes the next fsck
> > with no errors whatsoever. Could it be that fsck's result code on
> > failure actually is -1? Or any other value? Or does initlog (via which
> > fsck is called) somehow change the result value?
>
> It shouldn't change it, no.

So any idea why the fsck fails although no errors are left on the file
system? Is the fsck failure code -1 instead of any positive integer
larger than 1? You might understand that I am not willing to fsck up
this file system as much that it "really" fails (ie still contains
errors after the initial fsck).

Bye,
Leonard.