fedora and kernel 2.6.1

Budai Laszlo lbudai at ms.sapientia.ro
Fri Feb 6 07:56:12 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to compile the 2.6.1 kernel on Cedora Core 1. I've downloaded
  the source from kernel.org, and try to follow the readme for installing.
a  did make menuconfig, select the things I need (ex3 extended
attributes and posix ACL among them), then make, make bzImage, make
modules make modules_install, make install.
Before make install I've loaded the loop kernel module.
When I try to boot the new kernel it hangs with the folloving error:

VFS: cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block (0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

I did try to specify root=0803 in grub.conf but the message now is: VFS:
cannot open root device "0803" or unknown-block (8,3)
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,3)

What can be done?

thank you,
Laszlo