RFC: X library package changes, dependancy changes, freedesktop.org xlibs, etc.

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 11:05:36 UTC 2004

Having been nudged politely, I'll respond now (albeit a bit late).

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 06:09, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Proposed Solution:
>
> After much thought, my own proposed solution, is to do the
> following:
>
> - Create a number of new "virtual Provides:" in the XFree86 rpm
>   spec file in the XFree86-libs and XFree86-devel packages
>   respectively.  Essentially there would be one new virtual
>   provide for each library, and perhaps for developmental
>   utilities necessary for X development also, which are presently
>   in XFree86-devel.

Full ACK, this could be even extended into adjacent areas, e.g. Mesa
libs which once were in their own package and now are in XFree86-libs-GL
or whatever -- and who knows where they will be when having fd.o libs
becomes en vogue? There might even be more packages where this could be
applied to: e.g. GLUT <-> freeglut, ImageMagick <-> GraphicsMagick, ...
whereever there are alternative libraries that can be used.

Sorry for not having found any quirks in your proposal ;-).

"Me too",
Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com