LVM1 to LVM2 plans for FC2

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 19:02:56 UTC 2004

On Feb  6, 2004, Paul Jakma <paul at clubi.ie> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Feb 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> Booting with LVM for the first time, if you have your root
>> filesystem in LVM, is a bit tricky.

> I dont. There's /no/ value in that IMO. root fs'es should be small
> and as easy to boot as possible. Anyone who doesnt have their root
> fs's like that is just someone who is waiting to learn a lesson. :)

Well, see...  /boot is pretty small, but the root filesystem
(including /usr) has grown a lot over the past few years.  Had I set
aside a 5GB partition for that say 2 years ago, since that was a lot
more than enough for a full install, I'd hardly be able to do a full
install on it nowadays.  One of the reasons to use LVM is to make
filesystems easier to grow and manage.  Say, if I want to install yet
another experimental release, I just create a new logical volume for
it.  No need to go find room for a non-LVM partition in one of the 8
disks on my desktop.

>> That said, since it was such a pain to switch back and forth
>> between 2.4 and 2.6 in the same tree, I ended up removing 2.6 from
>> my FC1 installs, and only using 2.6 in rawhide installs.

> Do you mean in general? Or for the case of root-on-lvm only?

I think there are some pains to the general case, and greater pains
for the root-in-LVM case.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}