Compiling Fedora... athlon

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 10 06:42:52 UTC 2004

Hi, Fedora list,
I run the following thing: ~80% of fedora core development + most of
fedora.us for fedora 1 + most of livna.org for fedora 1 + naoko project
for java + ximian project utopia + custom 2.6 kernel ...

I think it's fairly representative of what Fedora will look like some
time in the distant future. Anyway, I decided to give sources another
try and recompile the distro (athlon optimized). The results are rather
discouraging. In case anyone cares, here's a list of 94 srpms that fail
to compile on my machine for one reason or another, including full logs:

http://128.253.214.219/broken/

Full list of rpms installed is rpms.txt.

You'll notice those are not only fedora core rpms, but also fedora.us,
livna, and naoko. You'll also notice a bunch simply will refuse to
install on athlon, but not on 386 (arch was restricted). I am curious as
to why (is athlon not a 386 superset?). By the way I consider any
failure past the srpm check a bug, so if an important package is
missing, I'm sorry, but the srpm didn't tell me I need it. I don't think
that's the case for most of the failures.

I've submitted bugzillas for several of those (freetype-headers for
gnome-print, the tcsh bug, desktop-printing, some of the gnome
deprecated bugs ... but I prefer mail as the means for communication.
Plus since a bug stayed in rawhide bugzilla for a year and a half before
I got a reply, I just don't trust the thing anymore.

I'll appreciate any help on getting those 94 packages compiled.
If you more need testing from me, please email back.

P.S. Why is this list subscription-only? Is my participation unwanted
if not subscribed? Certainly get that feeling after my mail did not make
it through the moderator for a week or two.