yum upgrade

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 10 15:13:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 08:09, Russell Coker wrote:
> Completing update for pygtk2  - 539/539
> Kernel Updated/Installed, checking for bootloader
> Grub found - making this kernel the default
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 60, in ?
>     sys.exit(1)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 323, in main
>     sys.exit(1)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/pkgaction.py", line 536, in kernelupdate
>     # at the moment, kernel rpms are supposed to grok grub
>   File "/usr/share/yum/up2datetheft.py", line 13, in install_grub
>     import grubcfg
>   File "/usr/share/yum/grubcfg.py", line 12, in ?
>     import iutil
>   File "/usr/share/yum/iutil.py", line 2, in ?
>     import types, os, sys, select, string, stat, signal
> ImportError: No module named select
> ----
>
> I installed FC1 (yarrow) from CD and then put in the below /etc/yum.conf and
> did "yum upgrade".  Above is the errors that I get.  Is this a known problem?

When upgrading python 2.2 to python 2.3 everything moves out from under
yum. This is bad. It means any functions called AFTER the move are
victim to nothing being there. I think all I need to do to fix this is
make sure I get all the functions imported that I need BEFORE the rpm
transaction starts, then invoke them later.

-sv