I was wondering why fedora has choosen yum over apt-get

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Feb 10 18:34:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 13:08 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 14:00, Alexandre de Abreu wrote:
> > Kristof Vansant wrote:
> > > What are the key benefits of yum over apt-get cause I got a friend telling
> > > me yum is crap and I should switch to apt-get in stead.
> > > Apt-get goes really fast in comparisment to yum.
> > > But I tell him there must be a good reason why fedora uses yum, I only don't
> > > know what :).
> > >
> > > Can someone explain it to me.
> >
> > Read this document and free your mind:
> > http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/questions.ptml
>
> don't read that document.
> Much of it is out of date now. Panu and Gustavo have done a bunch of
> work to make some of the things mentioned a bout apt no longer valid.
> The part about it being a lot of code is still true but <shrug>.

It is a lot of code, true, but I rather have 1000 lines of good C code
than the equivalent functionality in python (with potentially much less
lines of code) if it is bad quality (this is in a general case and not
specifically the case of yum, which I can't speak about in terms of
programming quality period).

Also, one should pay attention that...

Yum provides the features of apt w/o all the dpkg-compatibility baggage.

... is plain false (even then). It only proves how little experience has
been had with apt.

apt4rpm works so much better one a computer with 32MB of ram than yum...
but so much better...

Rui

+ So let's do it...?