rawhide report: 20040217 changes

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Feb 18 22:05:50 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 16:19, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > Question: when FC2 test2, FC2 test3, etc. come along and a user does an
> > "upgrade" install, what is going to "fix things up" so that they work?
>
> You are!! If not then reinstall. Upgrades from test to test and test to
> final are not nore were they ever supported. If they worked you were lucky.

The only time I have used upgrade is to test the upgrade process.

I believe you minunderstood what I meant (I did say it clearly enough).  By
Fc2test2, FC2test3, etc. I mean upgrading from FC1 to FC2test2, etc (or RHL9
to FC2test2).  Right now neither system-config-mouse nor
system-config-display handle this properly (they still try to us psaux and or
don't do anything).  These have been bugzilla'ed.

When it comes up wrong, the system trys to fix things by running mouseconfig
(system-config-mouse) but this does nothing.

Similarly, I could be able to run system-config-display --reconfig and have it
create a new /etc/X11/XF86Config which works.  It starts out trying to use
psaux and gets nowhere.

I was complaining because I believe this transition could have been handled
smoother.  However, test1 is a beta and will have rough edges.  What I am
concerned about is how the final will work.
--
Gene