PuTTY 0.54 rpms (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Fri Feb 20 09:19:18 UTC 2004

> Hi Gavin,
>
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>> for anyone that is interested I have made some rpms for the New Linux
>> version
>> of PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)
>>
>> I have hosted the rpms here:
>>
>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/putty/md5sums
>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/putty/putty-0.54-0.1.noarch.rpm
>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/putty/putty.spec
>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/putty/putty-0.54-0.1.src.rpm
>
> I looked at your SPEC file and compared it what I had. I have the
> following differences:
>
> 	+ What is the reason for choosing noarch ?

I am a beginner with building rpms, so I am trying to do as many as possible.

I thought, if it was noarch it would indicate it would work on any rpm
distro.

> 	+ No desktop entry
> 	+ No desktop icon

I didn't notice there was any.

> 	+ No manpages (there are 2 missing since the last release though)

I need to check for these.

> 	+ You have a static version-less dependency for gtk+

Again, a beginner, so all this will be changed.

> 	+ Don't use %makeinstall where possible

I understand this bit. You have:
%makeinstall -C unix -f Makefile.gtk in your specfile.

> You can compare it with:
>
> 	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/putty/putty.spec

I know you are much better than most at doing rpms, so I will update mine
to include a desktop entry, pic and man files. Also, take out gtk+ in
requires and what is this for:

### FIXME: Disable missing pscp.1 and psftp.1. (Please fix upstream)
%{__perl} -pi.orig -e '
		s|-O2|%{optflags}|g;
		s|/usr/local|%{_prefix}|g;
		s|^(\t\$\(INSTALL_DATA\) -m 644 ps.+)$|#$1|;
	' unix/Makefile.gtk

Is this built for servral version of gnome? Hence you if/else loops.

Again, I am learning :-)

Lastly, if I had known you had done one already, I wouldn't of done one :-)

But mine does a least work ;)

--
Regards,

Gavin Henry.