Closing bugs UPSTREAM

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Sun Feb 22 15:13:55 UTC 2004

Hallo Willem,

> And what if it gets fixed the next day upstream? You expect every bug
> owner to follow that and requalify the local bug? A lot of work for
> very little value, I'd say.

In this case the bugs are part of my triage effort for which you can
find details at http://www.ottolander.nl/gnome-panel/ , which means they
are being actively tracked. This particular issue (#114498) has already
been solved upstream. Thus this bug could have remained open and be
closed with an appropriate tag as soon as the gnome-panel update gets in
the main tree.

As Mike says, (at least in his eyes) bugs that are fixed upstream can be
reopened and closed more appropriately. This of course can be done by
people other than the maintainer. (As I did not file this particular bug
report I can not reopen it, only make a request.)

> I think it is OK if UPSTREAM is used to mean "I won't do anything about
> this bug myself, it is reported to the upstream bug database, and if and
> when they fix it, it will eventually propagate into a next release".

Yes. But this one has already been fixed (check the bug report).

Leonard.