Closing bugs UPSTREAM

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Feb 22 16:59:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

>> If a bug is flagged UPSTREAM, and is fixed upstream, then it is
>> valid to reopen it IMHO.
>
>The bug in question (#114498) is fixed upstream and will be fixed in the
>soon coming update of gnome-panel. Since it was filed against RawHide it
>can be closed CURRENTRELEASE (or ERRATA) as soon as the update is in the
>main tree.

No, that is not using CURRENTRELEASE or ERRATA resolution
properly.  Please read the bugzilla online help located at:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/bug_status.cgi

CURRENTRELEASE
  The problem described has already been fixed and can be
  obtained in the latest version of our product.

ERRATA
  The problem described has been fixed and will be available as
  an errata update from our support web site. Please check the site to
  see if it is currently available for download.

Rawhide is not a product release, it is an ongoing development
effort.  If a bug gets filed against rawhide (or fedora devel,
same thing really), and it gets fixed and put into rawhide there
is only one proper resolution - CLOSED->RAWHIDE

Likewise, if a bug gets reported in an older OS release, and
get's fixed in a new package in rawhide:  CLOSED->RAWHIDE

>To rephrase one last time: Imo UPSTREAM is a tag that should
>only be applied to *open* issues, (a bit like DEFERRED,) which
>#114498 is not. #112469 is.

I don't disagree.

However once a developer marks a bug as UPSTREAM, it will remain
marked that way even if the upstream bug report gets closed,
because the upstream bug tracker has no automated way of
reopening bugs between bugzilla databases.  It requires human
intervention, which means either someone polls all bugs and
updates them periodically, or they get updated over time when
someone gets around to it.  'Someone' in this case includes both
Red Hat developers, upstream developers, volunteers, reporters,
and users.

HTH