Compiling iteraid driver for use at installation

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 24 08:02:56 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I've asked this on fedora-list, with no response, so please have pity on
me for asking it here...  :-)

I'm trying to upgrade from Red Hat Linux 9 to Fedora Core 1 on my
Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro motherboard.  I'm using RAID 1 under the iteraid
driver at present, and i need to make a module that i can load from
floppy during installation (before anaconda searches for installations
to upgrade).

I'm compiling iteraid from the source at
http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/LinuxSrc_it8212_092005-05.zip, but i keep
running into one of two problems:

1.  The module symbol versioning kicks in and complains of unresolved
symbols (e.g. register_chrdev_R91ec41d1, scsi_register_Rc18333384).

2.  I've tried to configure my kernel on another box to support
compiling modules without symbol versioning, and i get kernel version
mismatches (due to the "custom" on the end of the EXTRAVERSION).

So my questions are:

- If i install FC1 on a non-RAID hard disk in the same system, the
iteraid driver i built from a running system works fine.  So there must
be something different about the installer kernel and the runtime
kernel.  What is it?

- If i assuming rightly that the installation kernel doesn't use
kernel versioning, how can i compile a module that will make the
module correctly for use in the installer?  I've gone through the "make
mrproper, make config, make dep, make" routine on the default kernel,
and i've come up with the same result.

- If that is not likely the problem, is there another way i can get my
system upgraded?  I've heard yum can actually do OS upgrades - is this
possible for going from RHL9 to FC1?

Thanks in advance,
Paul