OMG! I've started a war! - Was:Prelink success story :)

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Feb 27 01:24:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:27:32 +0000, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> OMG ... I've started a war!

My impression is more that of a smouldering fire which hasn't been put out
since the pre-fedora.us discussions, because nobody knows how to put it
out.

> Feelings are obviously running high on these issues, so I guess it
> doesn't take much to set people off.

Just don't read inbetween the lines.

> As for this fist fight between Micheal and Dag, let me just say that this
> is a real storm in a teacup.

Wonder what makes it look like a "fight"?

> I'm sure someone who works that hard without financial reward, surely
> cannot be described as someone who doesn't care.

You're extending the topic quite a bit now. "Doesn't care" as in "doesn't
care about fedora.us". Dag runs his own show, and he has done so already
during the fedora.us preparation talks. There is no reason to believe, that
if the QA checklist were modified today, he would take over maintainership
of some packages at fedora.us. So, it is beyond my comprehension why a
fedora.us policy debate was started/refreshed on this list today by him
(with a side-shot on "votes", "mandatory" things, "IRC decisions" and
stuff like that).

> I don't feel threatened by the existence of DAG-RPMS any more than I do
> about Livna, in fact I'm glad of having more choice. That is, after all,
> what "community" is all about.

Imagine Dag would stop maintaining his hundreds of packages all of a
sudden (without any particular reason). Or what happens if he's on
vacation and a security issue needs to be fixed? And if he works on
package A, he cannot work on package B. There are more reasons why it's
important for the "community" to have an open community packaging
project.

> When I first started packaging for Fedora, despite years of experience in
> Unix, Linux and networking security, I simply didn't have a clue about
> RPM, and didn't pretend to. I was a bit taken-aback by, what I perceived
> as, Michael's abrasive nature.

*That* I hear for the first time.

> Having worked with him for the last 3
> months, I can say that, although his tone is a bit dry,

Here I would like to hear more details and suggestions on what I should
change and how.

> his attitude is
> very positive, and I wouldn't have reached anywhere near the level of
> competence I have now, without his input. Please do not mistake Michael's
> tone as sarcasm or arrogance, since I'm sure that he, of all people, has
> no interest in driving developers away from something he cares about so
> passionately. If Michael has a fault, it is that he is a perfectionist in
> the extreme,

I think that doesn't match myself, as at fedora.us I've aimed at
productivity, not perfectionism. Of course, I need to be careful as to not
become sloppy in what I approve.

Btw, nothing in the Wiki is from me. I only edited a few places yesterday.
So, I really don't see where you've got the picture of an extreme
perfectionist from.