Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Fri Jan 2 19:15:03 UTC 2004

Florian La Roche wrote:
> I would find such a live-cd very useful for many things. From hardware
> testing, beta testing new apps, etc.
> (And I don't see why this would be again a discussion point to add things
> Red Hat cannot put up for redistribution.)

I cringe at the thought...of an official live cd meant for beta testing
of specific applications. Dear god, fedora would have to re-roll a new
livecd image EVERY DAY during the beta testing phase...so you could
download a new livecd image EVERY DAY to incoporate the new package
updates that come out EVERY DAY.  Dear god! that would complicate the
beta testing matrix a great deal. Are you seriously saying that you'd
burn a new livecd image EVERY day, in order to beta test applications?
What a horrible horrible idea. It might SEEM like it would make testing
easier for the tester...but I can't see it doing anything but
complicating the process of actually dealing with bug reports.

A livecd SOLELY for the purpose of testing...seems ill-fated a reason to
have a livecd. considering the fact that a livecd image is bound to have
its own bugs and errors that might not be in a normal install...seems a
bit circular to say the purpose of the official livecd is to test the
livecd.

-jef