Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Jan 2 19:50:44 UTC 2004

Maurice F. Piller (piller at visi.net) said:
> Fedora Core 1 came out with 3 iso installation images.  Has the size of the
> Fedora Core 2 release been determined yet?

No, but it's presumably similar.

> I would like to see more of an emphasis on the "Core" part of the project, it
> would be nice if Fedora Core 2 could be released with just 1 or 2 installation
> CD images.

Until Fedora Extras really gets going, there's not really *that* much
stuff that can be moved out.  It's certainly possible to do a 2-CD binary
distribution (I've done it), but you're trimming more than just fat.
Basically, all the really crufty stuff is also the small stuff.

The easiest way to trim the most space is to remove a desktop, by
far. But I don't think that's very practical for Core right now. More
people want more desktops rather than less. :)

Bill