Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Sat Jan 3 00:12:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 02:37:20PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> I'd like to encourage everyone to NOT use ftp. Use http. It's better for
> servers, it tends to be more performant, it tunnels more nicely and
> historically has been less of a security wreck than ftp.

I second the idea, HTTP works quite nicely.

Are HTTP 1.1 pipelining or connection recycling two options worth
considering? From what I recall, not only they weren't supported in
RH9/FC1, Anaconda also performed a DNS lookup before attempting each and
every package download - at least with kickstart installations. That
might be addressed either by caching the IP manually in Anaconda or
having nscd running during installation (overkill?).

Reducing the number of connections to the web server can only make HTTP
an even more palatable choice.

Rudi