Essential Packages

Casey Price linuxproject at aws-sj.com
Tue Jan 6 02:50:48 UTC 2004

I think it would be nice if the Core could be slimmed down to 2 cds
opposed to 3, just for convenience sake. It seems the main discussion here
has been about the Core size and whether or not anti-virus should be
included in the Core. I think that it would be nice to have the "core" of
the Core composed of the necessities required for the average user on the
first 2 cds, and on a 3 or 4 you could call that the "Core Extras Disk".
This disk would contain other handy utilities and packages that aren't
essential, but that would be nice such as anti-virus. I think what sv has
been trying to say is that this distro is not just a server os, its going
to be used on laptops, workstations, etc...and that AV isn't necessarily a
core component of an operating system. In reality, most os' don't ship
with any AV, thats the reason the AV companies make their money.

It would be very easy for Fedora Core to turn into a huge bloated
distribution, not that would be that bad...it would just be a pain
maintaining it and downloading everything needed to get up and running,
and would come with much more than someone needs. The user doesn't need
more options than they know what to do with. They need a functioning
distro that contains what they need and not a ton of extra things that
they will likely use. So in the big picture I think that a cd filled with
extra components would be the best option for everyone.

--
Casey Price