pine RPM and IPv6 for imapd

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Tue Jan 6 20:02:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Antonio Querubin wrote:
>
> > I noticed that although there's a UW imapd/ipopd RPM, there is no RPM for
> > just pine or pico.  Is anybody working on one?  If so, I've got a patch to
> > enable IPv6 client connections in pine which I've gotten to work on both
> > Fedora and RH 9.  Otherwise I suppose I could produce an RPM.
>
> You should read the FC release notes. Pine has been rm'd due to licensing issues.
> Having said that Mike Harris has a set of pine rpms that will work with Fedora.
> As I understand things though, the license that the UW programs are released under
> does not allow you to modify the programs and redistribute them.
>
> > And for whoever is maintaining the imapd RPM, this same patch (applied to
> > the c-client) will also enable better IPv6 logging for the imapd and ipopd
> > servers, and fix an SSL/IPv6 compatibility problem.
>
> IIRC uw-imapd is also depreciated and likely to be dropped in a future release
> due to the same licensing issues.

I just noticed that UW has posted an imap-2004 release candidate 1 which
now includes the IPv6 support so this makes things moot.

In the copyright notice I see:

"This University of Washington Distribution (code and documentation) is
made available to the open source community as a public service by the
University of Washington.  Contact the University of Washington at
imap-license at cac.washington.edu for information on other licensing
arrangements (e.g. for use in proprietary applications).

Under this license, this Distribution may be modified and the original
version and modified versions may be copied, distributed, publicly
displayed and performed provided that the following conditions are
met:

..."

and various typical accountability/liability conditions follow.

To me the intent seems that it's open source and modification and
redistribution is allowed.

Do you know which specific clause or wording in the copyright some lawyers
might take issue with?