include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jan 6 21:17:38 UTC 2004

tmus at get2net.dk (Thomas M Steenholdt) writes:

>>* daemon runs as root by default -> bad flaw since it works as non-root
>>  also. Please do not begin with SELinux; it's not the solution for all
>>  security problems and not available in FC1 or below.
>>
>>* default logging and sockets are suggested to be under /tmp
>>  -> man symlink-attack, man tmpwatch
> That's why it would be natural to fix those kinds of things in a
> package, so that it would work immediately after installation...

This request is void in this case. The daemon is not needed for
normal workstation usage and 'clamscan' from main-package works
without configuration. When you need the daemon e.g. for mailserver
integration, you have to read lots of documentation nevertheless and
the small README from the -server package will not hurt.

Another -- and preferred by me -- method would be a setup-package for
the mailserver which takes the templates from clamav-server and replaces
the '@...@' strings with the needed values. Already in use locally for a
mimedefang based solution.

> Again - I realize that a default configuration will not suit all,

A default configuration will suit nobody's needs since most data which
are checked for virii are sensible and should not be readable for (most)
non-root users. Communication sockets for the server must be protected
too.

> But installing a package should provide a basic working setup of
> whatever that package contains.

No, a secure basic setup is much more important.

Enrico