include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 7 14:21:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:02:23 +0100 (CET), Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:

> At some point Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> >> Name a core package that requires this amount of fiddling around before
> >> it will work, and I will comment on it if I have ever used it... I can't
> >> think on any!
> >
> > dhcpd, samba, ldap, mrtg, cvs, rsync, this-is-silly. There are many other
> > services which don't come preconfigured to a level you would just need to
> > run "service foo start" to get going. Not even mentioning any services
> > which require GUI tools to configure them.
> >

> Well, lets take samba as an example...

Why you would skip the first example and the other examples from the list
is beyond me. ;)

> Installing the samba packages puts everything where it needs to be in the
> right way. It doesn't need any obscure sysadmin packages that for some
> reason is only used for installing this package and not a requirement for
> any other. If puts a default config file in the proper location, installs
> chkconfig aware initscripts... What you HAVE to do to get samba running is
> edit the config file, put in a domain name and enable a service...

Add more steps if you don't want to just run Samba, but also make it share
data. Compare that with the steps necessary to get a clamav daemon service
running. The README is just 1539 bytes long, and if you stripped off
security hints, a disclaimer and contact information, the file would be
even shorter. chkconfig/service aware scripts are provided, too, btw.

> This is what I've been talking about all along and that you just won't
> seem to recognise. I have NOTHING against having to edit a configuration
> file to somehow enable the service to work in a certain manner.

It remains unclear what your Clamav installation scenario looked like and
in which way you wanted an [unsecure] daemon.

> Lets not turn this into a pie throwing contest! It doesn't serve any
> purpose!

It does, it does. Feedback is good, even if it looks unfounded and
destructive. It gives an idea of whether such a setup procedure may be too
complicated and whether a package might better stay in the queue until a
configuration helper script is included.