problem installing Fedora devel on dual Opteron SuperMicro

Davide Rossetti davide.rossetti at roma1.infn.it
Wed Jan 7 14:21:51 UTC 2004

dear all,

- dloaded fedora core 1 devel x86_64 from a mirror (sunsite.cnlab-swith.ch)
- installed via  cd+NFS on a brand new dual Opteron Supermicro mobo

got some warning, out of my mind, so I could be wrong:
1) kudzu had a 'symbol size changed consider relinking...'
2) an ext2 error in the syslog claiming something about a ram disk
filesystem (dunno which one)

the real showstopper is that after reboot, no boot loader (grub) was
present. I booted the CD in rescue mode and tried to do grub-install.
problem is that grub does not run. it is evidently a 32bit app but there
seems to be no 32bit glibc environment installed. in particular, 'ldd
grub' reports that there is no 32 dynamic linker /lib/ld-linux-XYZ.so
and /lib/ has no dyn lib on this system... ething is in /lib64/

so far so good, I got a .src.rpm of grub from SRPM and tried to
recompile on a chroot-ed shell of the rescuing system... now problem is
that 'gcc -m32' doesn't do its job :)
the comment in the grub .spec is that on x86_64 it should try to compile
a 32bit, statically linked binary .... I see no gcc and glibc [s]rpm for
the 32bit environment in development SRPMS/ and Fedora/RPMS dirs... so
evidently I have not got a suitable build environment for 32bit apps on
x86_64...

I'm a newcomer on the x86_64 but I'd like to help on this topic...

regards
davide