x86_64 linking issues

Chuck Mead csm at lunar-linux.org
Fri Jan 9 00:16:29 UTC 2004

I am having an issue with several xfce4 packages on x86_64. Libtool
doesn't seem top be able to find and link the packages to the required
libraries. To wit:

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lXinerama.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libXinerama and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXinerama.a

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lxfcegui4.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libxfcegui4 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6.4

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lxml2.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libxml2 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6.4

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lxfce4util.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libxfce4util and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.2.3/../../..//libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.200.4

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module libmixer.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

And yet the libs it says it cannot find are in ld.so.cache!

[root at stealth root]# strings /etc/ld.so.cache |grep xfce
libxfce4util.so.1
/usr/lib64/libxfce4util.so.1
libxfce4util.so
/usr/lib64/libxfce4util.so
libxfce4mcs-manager.so.1
/usr/lib64/libxfce4mcs-manager.so.1
libxfce4mcs-manager.so
/usr/lib64/libxfce4mcs-manager.so
libxfce4mcs-client.so.1
/usr/lib64/libxfce4mcs-client.so.1
libxfce4mcs-client.so
/usr/lib64/libxfce4mcs-client.so
libxfcegui4.so.1
/usr/lib64/libxfcegui4.so.1
libxfcegui4.so
/usr/lib64/libxfcegui4.so

...and they are of the correct type:

/usr/lib64/libxfce4mcs-client.so.1.0.1:  ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

/usr/lib64/libxfce4mcs-manager.so.1.0.1: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

/usr/lib64/libxfce4util.so.1.0.0:        ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

/usr/lib64/libxfcegui4.so.1.0.6:         ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

Any ideas?
--
csm
Lunar Project Leader