Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jan 9 04:04:39 UTC 2004

> You still do not seem to understand that you would only have to have a single
> patch at any given instant.  You would have the same number of files.  They
> would be smaller.

You do not seem to understand that it WOULDN'T WORK that way. People
wouldn't have the next to last thing. And you'd have to keep N copies
around.

I've read this entire thread and I've not yet seen a convincing answer
to: user X has a version they pulled from test3 not the final fc release
but they've applied most of the other patches up to the final fc. How do
they get there. So you have to keep patches available or just end up
back at square one. So not only am I keeping the original I'm ALSO
keeping some patches on my mirror.

You're right, in the best of possible worlds it would work but I'm
arguing for the bad cases b/c I'm not pangloss and you're not candide.

-sv