pine RPM and IPv6 for imapd

Nitebirdz nitebirdz at sacredchaos.com
Sun Jan 11 07:32:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:12:08PM -0500, Michael Dickson wrote:

> This doesn't say that.  It simply says that if they like something a
> distributor did they can copy the functionality and resdistribute it.
> It doesn't imply they own local changes at all.  In fact other points in
> the license specifically address that.

As far as I know, the problem is not so much whether the license Pine is
released under is GPL-compatible or not.  There are many other applications
in Red Hat and Fedora released under other licenses that, as in the case of
the BSD license, allow anyone to grab your contribution and release them
as a part of a proprietary closed-source solution.  What originally caused
the problem with Pine's license even before Fedora was created was the
express prohibition to distribute a modified version of the application.
I'm pretty certain this issue was discussed in some Red Hat lists in the
past, but right now all I can find is an email from one of Debian's lists
clarifying the issue:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2000/debian-legal-200008/msg00147.html