Ideas for packaging vim syntax files

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun Jan 11 16:26:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 09:37, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Andr Kelpe wrote:
>
> > Am So, den 11.01.2004 schrieb Toshio um 14:48:
> > > Right now I'm using:
> > > sed '<PATTERN>' < /usr/share/vim/vim62/filetype.vim
> > > but this means I can only upgrade a vim62 series package...
> >
> > The question is: What versions of vim do you want to support? Why do you
> > want to support version < 6.2 if fedora has no such version?
>

> I can see how yum refuses to update next time that vim is updated
> to 6.3 and this vim-pyrex thing is not updated yet...

Yep.  Just what does yum do when this happens?  When I used Ximian's rug
if I asked to upgrade vim-6.3, it would give me a list of upgrades and a
list of removals (for packages it couldn't find a compatible version
for) and prompt me to confirm.  If yum is similar, then I could see
doing something like vim62-extras-pyrexsyntax package that will work
with vim-6.2.  And vim63-extras-pyrexsyntax that works with vim-6.3.

[Now I wish I'd paid more atttention when people were talking about
kernel-module packaging :-)]

This leads into another question: Is a vimXX-extras metapackage
appropriate?  If so, should it have subpackages that break out different
vim-extras, consist of different individual packages, or be one large
meta-package?

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>