Wish list for Fedora Core 2

Bjorn Andersen ba at linuxin.dk
Tue Jan 13 08:26:36 UTC 2004

Hi
I was posting this on the regular fedora-list, but was told to post it
in devel in stead, so here it is...

I work on a school where several Fedora systems was installed and
interested students could get an account. After a test period of 2
months we had them evaluate the systems. Of the results there was 3
issues that keept on repeating it selves, and it is the background of
the wish-list. (note, the students are not of the technical art)

1) Kernel messages was confusing, and unnecessary.

2) The "System Settings" and "System Tools" was available, but of no
use. (I sysadmin need a menu editor)

3) Num Lock was not turned on.

1) Non technical users might think it is strange to see the kernel
messages while booting. There is no way (except for sending it to /dev/
null) for hiding the messages graphical. Other systems hide it behind a
splash screen. A god choice. Personally (at home) I use the kernel boot
messages  for errordetection, but it could be nice to have 2 boot
options. One for total graphical boot (including a splash screen for
kernel messages, and one debug/expert with init 3 and no graphical boot.

New users who are used to other OS tend to believe that all  messages
are evil, specially if they appear in a text screen.

Some reactions was that it looked like DOS, and that is NOT god PR. :-)

2) Non technical users might think it is strange to have 2 menu entries
that they cant use (prompt for the root password they dont have). I miss
an Menu Editor like the ´applications:///¡ in other dists. It is
disabled on default in Fedora (and redhat 9), and cant be used as an
menu editor. Why?

When i create a user in Fedora Linux, i log in as the user (to make
Epiphany the default browser for better GUI experience). It could be
nice if i also had the opportunity to delete the ´System Settings¡ and
´System Tools¡ entries at the same time.

3) Num Lock. Some users had contacted the support department because
they was unable to log in. They thought that the account was not
created. We mix the passwords of letters and digits. The digits simply
was not typed. It could be nice if I was able to turn Num Lock on as
default. As an option for the keyboard that had effect even at the login
screen. Why remember to type the Num Lock all the time, when it could be
made automatic?

That is just a few things we had collected.

Some things KDE have had for years (Num Lock and Menu Editor) and other
things, like the boot splash have been default in SUSE for a long
time...

If i was a programmer i probably had no problem in this things, I would
have made them by my self, but unfortunately I am not that skilled.

I hope that some one think a bit of this is a god thing to fix for the
next release Fedora Core 2.

Have a nice day!

Bjorn Andersen