up2date problems (use a mirror)

Wed Jan 14 09:18:32 UTC 2004

Le mer 14/01/2004 à 04:29, Jef Spaleta a écrit :
> Geoff Teale wrote:
> > I do agree that some dynamic look-up of mirrors would be a much better
> > solution than having users edit files in /etc.
>
> Considering that the default urls pointing back to redhat.com are
> actually redirects, it seems plausible to me that there is some intent
> to be able to provide some dynamic mirror rotation behind those default
> redirect urls...

1. Redirects are useless for most repositories out there - they mostly
get their stuff on an http/ftp server they don't control so they can not
do this kind of magic

2. There is absolutely no need for the procedure to be interactive,
except for rare cases where there is a need for a manual override. Just
feed the download manager a list of mirrors and let it handle it, just
like you can feed ntpd a list of servers and it will select by itself
the best server to use for syncs. When non-technical considerations like
price of international downloads (in some countries) must be taken into
account, allow the user to express mirror preferences (just like
ntp.conf allows the prefer keyword). The user often does not have any
specific knowledge of what mirror will be best for him - in fact he will
do a poorer job than a software helper, since he will be too lazy to
keep exact stats of download speeds/mirror freshness/corruption
occurrences and these are the factors to take into account when you
choose a mirror (not the pretty url).

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot