FC2: removing gcc32 OK?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 14 21:38:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Gene C. wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 12:04, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Killing sparc(32) is long overdue. It will not upstage Keith, because he
> > > uses Gentoo anyway. And there's always Debian. So, my consciousness is
> > > entirely clear on this subject.
> >
> > Seems its up to those who volunteer to do the work.
>
> I believe that there was some mention on this mailing list or the fedora-test
> mailing list that sparc64 applications actually run slower than sparc32
> applications (although having a sparc64 kernel is a good idea).

The Linux sparc / ultrasparc port has a 32-bit userspace (64-bit binaries
are supported, but default apps are 32-bit because, say, 64-bit ls gains you
nothing) and either a 32-bit kernel (for sparc processors) or a 64-bit
kernel (for ultrasparc processors; Linux, unlike Solaris, doesn't support
32-bit kernel on the 64-bit ultrasparc cpus).

The question is whether it's worth Fedora supporting sparc64 (64-bit kernel)
and sparc32 (32-bit kernel) or just sparc64....

later,
chris