2.6.1 kernel question -- SOLVED

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jan 22 08:52:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 00:00, Alan wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 20:51, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Do, den 22.01.2004 schrieb Alan um 03:22:
>
> > > Well, I found out what went wrong. Not certain what caused it.
> > >
> > > /proc was no longer functional!  (Not certain why. Maybe this system
> > > needs a /proctologist.)
> >
> > This is just because /proc is no longer used for system states in kernel
> > 2.6. Absolutely normal and no error on your system. Maybe you should
> > read the kernel documentation to know all changes.
>
> Actually rebooting the system brought /proc back to a usable state.
> Something within the kernel bit it.  That was just the symptom. (Might
> have taken /sys as well, but I did not check.)

It was not eliminating /proc, just making it unusable.

Another program was causing the problem.  When I tried configuring it,
it was trying to do a modprobe for a couple of modules for a device that
did not exist.  (The parallel port, which had been turned off.)  The
modprobe would hang and cause things like lsmod and /proc to be
unresponsive.

Turning the parallel port back on fixed the symptom.  I will get exact
details as to the parameters that caused modprobe to hang.

--
"Push that big, big granite sphere way up there from way down here!
Gasp and sweat and pant and wheeze! Uh-oh! Feel momentum cease!