2.6.1 kernel question -- SOLVED

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 19:24:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 19:14, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> So you say Dave, that some data will be both in /proc as well in /sys at
> the same time running kernel 2.6?

Yes.

>  From what I read so far I had the
> impression some things would move from /proc into the sysfs for the
> reason that the kernel developers decided to divide information which
> belongs to system state and those which really belongs to /proc.

You can't do that without totally breaking backwards compatability.
Maybe in a few years when everything is converted to reading sysfs
then we can think about removing old cruft, but once stuff is in the
kernel it's very very hard to remove it.

As an example we've been trying to get of /proc/pci for the last 4-5
years. During 2.1 it was decided that /proc/bus/pci was the way forward.
It's still there in 2.6, and is now slated for removal in 2.7

	Dave