Quick kernel questions

Jens Knutson jensknutson at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 03:42:10 UTC 2004

Just two kernel questions:

1) The kernel documentation for CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN says that "The
vast majority of SCSI devices have only one LUN, and so most people can
say N here and should in fact do so, because it is safer."

Well, I've discovered that my "6-in-1" CF/MMC/etc card reader, and all
others like it, require CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN to be set to Y to work
properly.  What is it about the option that makes it "unsafe"?  Will
this unsafe aspect go away in the near future, so it would be reasonable
to turn on by default, and thus make card readers Just Work?

2) I've been using the Rawhide 2.6 kernels for a couple weeks, and
they've  been great.  One thing I found that made a big interactivity
difference though, was the CFQ I/O scheduler.  Since this is selectable
at boot, is it possible that we'll see CFQ in Fedora Core 2 test
kernels?  Patching each new release kinda sucks, and it'd be cool to see
wider testing of this really nice bit of code.

Thanks,

 - jck

enthusiastic about."
 -- Albert Einstein