An introduction of the new cheerleader...

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Mon Jan 26 17:43:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:21:27PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> There must be developers and package maintainers [other than ESR] with
> precize ideas on how they would like to contribute packages. Similarly,

I can't speak for anyone else, but as an interested party with a few
tens of packages to be unleashed (half of them Perl modules required by
the main packages, *sigh*), I beg to differ with the above.

I really don't care how exactly packages are going to be contributed.
All I care about is process automation. I have no time to waste filing
Bugzilla entries manually, as you're supposed to do now with fedora.us.
I'd rather spend whatever time I have on the actual packages, improving
their quality. I know they still need attention.

I also have no time to argue whether to use CVS, SVN, Makefiles, Perl
programs, shell scripts or anything else - as long as there's one quick
and reliable procedure. Right now I build and maintain the packages in
an automated fashion using my own shell scripts and Makefiles. I don't
care what I am going to end up using; I expect having to adapt anyway.
Just give me guidelines and a list of tools that work and that I can
quickly install; I'll be happy with that.

But this is pretty much rehashing points from ESR's post from a few
weeks ago. I'll let him, RH and anyone else working on the toolchain
sort out the actual details. Hopefully the wait will be over soon.

Rudi