sylpheed (and inclusions)

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 28 09:00:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:32:09 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > Though, unfortunately, it's built without GPG support due to lack of GPGME
> > packages in Fedora Core.
>
> So, looking at this:
>
> Good points:
> - actually used by a couple of apps in the distro (potentially)
> Bad points:
> - GPL library
> - apps require the unstable development version

Sylpheed depends on the stable 0.3.x release of GPGME, though. :)

> IMO, things like sylpheed, balsa, etc. all eventually should
> probably be in Extras. But I may be in the minority. :)

The bloated Sylpheed-claws (the bleeding edge development fork of
Sylpheed) is offered at fedora.us. But my attempts at getting an updated
and GPGME-enabled Sylpheed into fedora.us have failed due to lack of
package reviews and hence no approval. Well, the bugzilla ticket could
still be open, but then the entire queue would appear even more filled.
The choice would have been to release an updated Sylpheed in the "patches"
repository where it could upgrade Core or to rename the package to
"sylpheed-gpg" (plus "obsoletes: sylpheed"), so users could choose whether
to upgrade or not.