RPM spec in tar file (was Re: An introduction of the new cheerleader...)

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Wed Jan 28 09:28:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 00:55, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> >> To some extent, this can be solved using various %ifdef constructions
> >> in spec file.
> >
> > How?  AFAIK, there is no canonical way for the SPEC file to determine
> > what distribution it is building on.
>
> If there's no canonical way or a clean solution, there is always space
> for ugly hacks...

Indeed, for example I'm using the attached shell script for adding a specific
release tag when building binary packages for different rpm-based
distributions.

The script is able to "detect" the following distros along with their
versions: Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake, Yellow Dog, UnitedLinux, SuSE.

But there will be a downside for this aproach: the spec files will be a little
"bloated".

Mihai