rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 28 22:21:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 13:02, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 02:55:57PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > You did know that 1.1 starts up in under 10 seconds on a moderately fast
> > machine, right?  There's also a "pagein" module that, after the first
> > launch, takes much less time.  That said, theres still work to do in
> > this area for OOo of course.
>
> Can I edit two documents at the same time fast on a 40Mbyte pentium 133 ?
>
> OOo is getting better, and its always going to be bigger than less featured
> but more effective tools, but until it is snappy on a pentium 133 the
> apps like gnumeric and abiword have a definite unique selling point 8)

I think by the time it is snappy on a PI-133, they will be in the same
closet as the Atari's and such are today. At the moment, you cant
directly install onto that machine (40MB PI-133) with Fedora so it is
sort of a moot point.

Now K12LTSP you can do.. and that is where it is important... but I dont
know if Fedora core is aimed there. Of course, I am not sure I know
where Fedora Core is aimed so.. I am moot.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645