gettext vs automake

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 16:52:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:22:45PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 16:56, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > The automake we have in Fedora development no longer provides
> > mkinstalldirs,
>
> That should not be true. cf.
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2003-11/msg00014.html

"The mkinstalldirs scripts is no longer installed by Automake,
 but it is distributed and updated (by --force-missing) *if
 present*." (my emphasis)

It really doesn't come from automake now.  If you bootstrap from a
clean package CVS export, you will not have a mkinstalldirs script.
And you won't need one, as far as automake is concerned.

But the gettext Makefile.in.in uses it.

> >  but the gettext m4 macros and Makefile.in.in still want
> > to use it.  The same goes for glib-gettext.m4.
> This would qualify as bugs in automake >= 1.8

Not really.  It's that some things use $(mkinstalldirs) expecting it
to be the path to a script, rather than something to pass to the
shell.  For instance (from glib-gettext.m4):

   dnl If the AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR macro for autoconf is used we possibly
   dnl find the mkinstalldirs script in another subdir but ($top_srcdir).
   dnl Try to locate is.
   MKINSTALLDIRS=
   if test -n "$ac_aux_dir"; then
     MKINSTALLDIRS="$ac_aux_dir/mkinstalldirs"
   fi
   if test -z "$MKINSTALLDIRS"; then
     MKINSTALLDIRS="\$(top_srcdir)/mkinstalldirs"
   fi
   AC_SUBST(MKINSTALLDIRS)

To see a concrete example of it going wrong, try to ./bootstrap;
./configure; make distcheck this:

http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/eggcups/eggcups-0.0.4.tar.bz2

Tim.
*/