Fedora Core 2 XFree86 plans, and XFree86 4.4.0 plans, etc.

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Jan 29 17:31:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:37:04PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> >RHL9 ok, on the proviso that someone checks that codebase out and makes
> >sure its safe.
>
> Alan's the only one I know with VIA EPIA hardware off the top of
> my mind.  ;o)   Oh, also, even if the kernel doesn't have the
> support, the driver should work 2D only, so X isn't dependant on
> the kernel support being there for driver operation, just for
> DRI.  (I suspect you know that, but others reading are likely not
> to.)
And asking people to just run a FC1 kernel on their RH9 box if they
absolutely must have 3D on their EPIA isn't completely unreasonable either.
Apart from the gcc32 dependancy (--nodeps or a fake package providing a
handy symlink :-) ) they work just fine (I do this to get aironets that have
visited a windows box and thus have received an updated firmware that
doesn't work with older linux drivers to work)

Anyway, if you guys need an extra hand in getting things merged with the devel
tree I'll be happy to help.

Oh, speaking of EPIA, there seems to be some cardbus PCI resource allocation
problems (this on the new model with integrated cardbus), which makes
prism54 not work without some setpci magic. Almost certainly a generic
kernel bug (or hardware sillyness), so I'm doing the reporting
upstream once I manage to pinpoint the exact problem...

--
Pekka Pietikainen