mplayer vs. xine

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Jan 30 08:09:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 07:42, seth vidal wrote:
> totem with the xine backend makes for a nice front end to xine. I've
> been using it for all my movie watching and it's a nice, simple and
> obvious (for the most part) interface.
>
> it's in the livna archives if anyone wants to try it out.
> -sv

Totem is great.  One way it scores over straight Xine is that it
maintains the Gtk2 look of the default Gnome desktop which, whilst not
as pretty as a Xine or Mplayer skin, looks a whole lot more
"professional" - something that Red Hat achieved with Red Hat 8 and 9
and something I wouldn't want to see lost from Fedora.  It's amazing
what a difference a consistent look and feel can make to potential
desktop users out there in business-land.

--
Geoff Teale
general: <tealeg at member.fsf.org>