Upgrade of unmaintained packages

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Jan 30 15:56:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 17:43, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about distribution upgrade : how should we deal with
> unmaintained packages which don't work in the new distribution ? Let's say
> we have included a program in Extras (or main) and the project stops for
> some reason. At some point in the future, the program will stop working
> (API change, glibc upgrade, ...). How should we deal with such a package
> (except not including it in the first place of course ;) ) ?
> We could tell Anaconda to remove it (well I don't know much about Anaconda,
> but I suppose it is possible), but what about online upgrades using yum or
> apt ?

Anaconda, up2date and yum never remove packages unless they are
explicitly obsoleted by something else, AFAIK. (well, anaconda has some
special remove-this-crap blacklist items like linuxconf :) Apt on the
other hand does remove packages for which dependencies can no longer be
satisfied (and occasionally gets itself and you into trouble just
because of that :)

	- Panu -