rawhide report: 20040130 changes

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Jan 31 00:42:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:01:59PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
 > On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:49:54PM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:20:48PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
 > >  > On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:05:58AM -0500, Build System wrote:
 > >  > > kernel-2.6.1-1.63
 > >  > > -----------------
 > >  > > * Thu Jan 29 2004 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > >  > >
 > >  > > - Update to 2.6.2-rc2-bk3
 > >  > > - Disable USB Gadget support.
 > >  >
 > >  > Any specific reason for disabling this?
 > >
 > > I figured that folks likely to be developing usb gadgets are
 > > more likely to be using an upstream kernel than the Fedora kernel.
 >
 > More upstream than 2.6.2-rc2-bk3?  :)

whilst Fedora 2 kernel is pretty darn close to mainline, it isn't exactly
mainline, what with exec-sheild, and a handful of smaller patches.

 > I don't really care myself, but if you do want to select a specific
 > device, I suggest the CONFIG_USB_GADGET_NET2280 (you have to choose
 > one), as that is a real pci card that people can use in a normal
 > machine.

That was another reason.. I couldn't decide which way to go, so I
was procrastinating 8)

 > I was worried that there was something wrong with the build that I
 > might have broken.

I think I'll leave it as it is right now. I still think someone would
either use an upstream source tree, or if they are using the Fedora tree,
they'd likely want to change some options in the .config anyway.
(I doubt an embedded device would want modules for everything under the
 sun for example).

		Dave