linux registry (no, not that again!)

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Wed Jul 28 18:17:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 18:06 +0100, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:56, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> > Neal D. Becker wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, here's the linux registry topic again.  This project looks
> > > interesting. Any comments?
> > >
> > > http://registry.sourceforge.net/
> > >

> > One motivation that I didn't hear anyone mention:
> >
> > It is difficult to add entries/edit a flat file.
> ^^^Bingo !!! Somebody else hits the nail on the head
>
> Hence the need for "A COMMON API FOR MANIPULATING TEXT IN FLAT FILES"

So, if it's difficult to manage flat files, then I could argue that we
don't want flat files, which invalidates the previous arguments. Maybe
we could use structured files, like XML or hierarchical backends. But
this depends on the nature of the information being stored and the
nature of the application using it.

Once again, I can't think of a one-site-fits-all scheme. That's the
beauty of UNIX: diversite, and choosing the best tool that fits your
need.