Re: udev in initrd

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 18:05, Thomas Woerner wrote:
> There are test packages in http://people.redhat.com/twoerner/UDEV/ for using
> udev in initrd with persistent devices.

I just wanted to revisit this and ask how this work was going?

I really have no technical opinions on how it should be implemented
in detail, but I think it's pretty important to get default use of
udev(*) into FC3 ... not just for dynamic device usage, HAL, etc,
but in order to make read-only root setups (e.g., LTSP style network
boot) easier.

Regards,
						Owen

(*) I know some people (yes, you, Jeremy) have serious reservations
    about the details of how udev is implemented. And I really
    just mean "dynamic creation of device nodes on a ram filesystem".
    But I don't think the fact that udev is too
    bloated/complex/policyless/whatever to run in Anaconda should keep
    us from trying to start fixing these problems for installed
    systems.