FC3 wishlist - sound server

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Tue Jul 6 17:55:31 UTC 2004

On tis, 2004-07-06 at 20:49 +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:21 +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:02 +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> >
> > > What about including a good sound server and use it by default? I don't
> > > know what's best, but Jack seems ok.
> >
> > I still don't see the point of using a sound server when ALSA allows for
> > software/hardware sound mixing from different sources.
> just tested, not for me
> XMMS set to alsa output
> console: aplay something.wav - remains blocked until xmms is stopped

Alsa does hardware mixing with cards that in fact support hardware
mixing, and for those that don't support it you'll need to set up the
DMIX plugin. See attached .asoundrc for an example of this.

More info here
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin

and here
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/alsa/

The issue of sound has been brought up before, and I can only reiterate
my request for a default setup that /just works/.

/Peter

--
Peter Backlund <peter.backlund at home.se>