Re: Browsers [was: Fedora Core 3]

Ben Steeves wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:55:54 +0200, Tarjei Knapstad
<tarjei knapstad predichem com> wrote:

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:59, Ben Steeves wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:40:23 +0800, Dexter Ang <thepoch mydestiny net> wrote:

This boils down to personal preference really.

Could the browser be a candidate for /etc/alternatives ?

Or maybe an env var?

I don't think you can ship the OS without a web-browser in Core. Of

Nobody's saying to remove all browsers from core, but to allow switching of the main browser with /etc/alternatives, which is a mechanism having nothing to do with core, extras or alternatives. They just happen to be named similarly...

course, everyone and his dog will have an opinion on which browser
that should be.  I'm inclined to recommend sticking with Epiphany, not
just 'cos it's my favorite, but because it's the GNOME project's.

People switch to Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird on win32 to be able to gain interface familiarity with a program. Firefox is the future of the Mozilla project, why not integrate with them instead of duplicating work? There are already efforts to use gtk2 in firefox and mozilla, just use that.

But I'm sorry to say, that won't happen for a long time, if ever. Only time, and the epiphany developer's whims will tell.