Fedora Core 3

Adrian Havill havill at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 21:50:14 UTC 2004

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>Cristian Gafton (gafton at redhat.com) said:
>

>>>I'm sure there's other stuff people would like to see. What sorts
>>>of things?
>>>

>>I'd like to see the text terminals fixed up again so that Home and End
>>keys work in emacs -nw, joe, jed, whatever other places that are under
>>ncurses controls.
>>

>Text? Not xterm/gnome-terminal/etc?
>
>I thought all the complaints were about the latter.

There seems to be no least common denominator terminfo that can be
called "xterm" that satisfies the gnome-terminal, konsole, and xorg
xterm camp all at the same time. I believe that the best solution may be
to leave the xterm definition in the terminfo as stock, and set the TERM
to point to a more specific entry, if one can be deduced, during term
shell initialization.