Re: php5

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:45:36AM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Ricardo Ariel Gorosito wrote:
> >Is too late to include php5 in RHEL4 Test -2 ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H FC3
>
> Php4 to php5 migration for lots of applications will probably involve
> large amounts of pain and suffering, so if php5 is included, I'd like it
> to be included as a parallel alternative to php4. As much as I welcome
> php5 (it's a much improved language/environment over php4), many
> existing php4 applications will likely break with it. Hell, they broke
> going from php-4.1 to php-4.2 to php-4.3... :)

I don't particularly like the idea of carrying two PHP modules in Fedora
Core at least, one is big enough as it is. (you can't load two PHP
modules into Apache at the same time so there's no way of making both
work "out of the box" anyway)

I plan to prepare packages of 5.0.0 which people can test out; maybe we
can upgrade to PHP5 during the FC4 release cycle.  Maybe later.

joe