Gnome image viewers

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 15 22:48:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 17:54 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 16:03, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > Why are there two image viewers for gnome. Eog and gthumb basically do
> > the same thing. I personally like gthumb as eog ui can use some work. As
> > I understand eog is used as a bonobo component for nautilus to display
> > images in the nautilus window. Why can't we just move the bonobo
> > component to gthumb and kill eog?
> >

> Coincidentally I was just about to post about this ;-) It would ideally
> be fixed on the gnome.org level.
>
> There's also nautilus, which is what I always end up using for digital
> photos since I already have the folder open, but of course it lacks
> crucial features such as photo rotation and slide show and all that.

Well, we just had a discussion on cameras and Nautilus (well, GNOME VFS
actually) over on utopia-list at gnome.org the other day and the consensus
was that you should only use Nautilus for browsing device whose primary
and maybe secondary use was random files.

Thus, for cameras and photos you should use a dedicated photo management
tool sort of like gThumb that of course should start automatically when
plugging in a digital camera.

Cheers,
David