redcarpet

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:29:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:21:11 -0500, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> I'm fairly certain the static linking is done on purpose: to be able to
> still run redcarpet, in the aftermath of a biffed-up machine with
> (possibly) missing shared libraries.

He didn't say it was unintentional... he just said it was a nasty
thing to do, from a 3rd party packager perspective. In fact I would
argue that as a general rule for human behavior, the really nasty
things tend to be intentional.

-jef"questions the logic of staticly linking a high level management
tool, against the chances of a doomsday scenario invovling lots of
missing libraries. Makes you wonder, as to how a system gets in a
position like that. Does the high level tool make a habit of
inadvertantly removing libraries when it shouldnt? And if its not a
package management problem caused by a tool or mixed tool usage and is
something deeper, can it really do more than fix the symptoms?"spaleta